The Society of Sensory Professionals is a 501(c) non-profit organization devoted to developing and promoting the field of sensory science.
To advance the field of sensory evaluation, including consumer research, and the role/work of sensory professionals, for the purpose of sharing knowledge, exchanging ideas, mentoring and educating its members.
To advance the field of sensory evaluation, including consumer research, by:
- Creating forums for sharing research that advances the scientific basis of the field.
- Provide mentoring in the field through a variety of forums.
- Providing training courses and educational seminars.
- Linking with existing organizations that serve the sensory and consumer research community
- Promoting professional conduct and ethical standards.
The society maintains an association with ASTM E-18, the technical committee on Sensory Evaluation of Materials and Products. The relationship includes joint promotions of each other's activities, as well as organizing business meetings and conferences at combined meeting locations. The 2008 inaugural conference was held immediately following the E-18 committee meeting.
Additional information on E18, such as the staff manager, scope, meetings, etc., is available at the committee page.